wtorek, 12 kwietnia 2022

Fuzzing FreeBSD 12.3

After last adventures with JunOS bugs I decided to learn more about FreeBSD - the base (afaik) OS for the "Juniper vSRX" I tested in the lab [1, 2]. I decided to start a quick fuzzing for the binaries inside this OS. Below you'll find few notes about it. Here we go...

This time we'll start here:


As you can see I'm using:

- latest version of AFL

- FreeBSD 12.3-RELEASE 

- objdump (2.17.50).


To generate an input file I used python3 (simple: 'print a-long-A...-line to file and run it' command was used here). Next step, running afl-fuzz, like this:


After "a while" (in my case it took ~24h for the first crash) - you should be somewhere here:


Few more details:


The final file that triggered this sigsegv:

What surprised me - I wasn't only one who tested objdump lately ;)


Checking few others apps available in /usr/(s)bin/ I found another one:

 

Reading the fantastic manual:


Checking first results:


Preparing more quick-tests:



Reading the bug in gdb:


(grep)-Hints found in dmesg:


For now it should be enough to start reading more about FreeBSD and prepare more fuzzing scenarios...


Stay tuned! ;)


Cheers,

Cody




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz