sobota, 20 czerwca 2020

Reading malware - MS Office Macros

Yesterday I decided to visit this page again to see if I'll be able to find some 'fresh malicious files'. This time I was looking for some 'malwares' prepared for MS Office users. Below you will find the details. Here we go...
We'll start here:


As you can see this malicious-word-file is still online so - be careful.

(Later I saw on VirusTotal that it was already uploaded in January - but we'll get back to that later.)




TL;DR - quick details:


Anyway... ;] I decided to download it to Kali VM. This time I used fresh installed VM (I used VMware this time). As you can see - to proceed - I installed few tools and libs, for example:


After a while we should be somewhere here, testing olevba tool(s):



Output looks promising:


I tried to restart tools available in the package with different parameters (like mentioned below --deobf  or --decode; see man ;)):


When I saw base64-strings I decided to check it out:


In the meantime I tried to collect as-much-details-as-I-can about the target-file (so I played a little bit longer with the tools inside DidierStevensSuite):


Here we go again... with new params ;]



After a while I decided to give it a try and register on Any.Run:



Malicious Word file uploaded:


Very first results - below:


Few seconds later we can see the whole path that malware took to proceed:


I must say it was pretty cool to watch all of the execution flows ;] Next one:




Next one (now we finaly see some connections ;]):



Cool enough to ask C&C about the weather and things like that... ;]




In the meantime I found that malware is trying to escalate privileges (more details I found on github):


Next window now looks like this:


(...10minutes later...)



Ups... I forgot I should not fuzz the C&C ;] (...again...)






At this stage - I would like to bruteforce the squid available on remote host to see if I can "do more" - but this is ILLEGAL in my country - so I stopped immediately. :)

Few more stats found online:


Network looks like a pretty active one ;] More from ASN:



In the meantime I found pretty nice picture generated by Any.Run



One of the tool I found online was of course OfficeMalScanner - if you don't know the tool (or the page) you should check it ASAP. (I switched from Kali VM to Windows 7 VM to use to tool.) Now we should be here:



Few more details I found when I was using SSView:



Next:


Few more checks:


...and I decided to send the file to Ida:


I started reversing the binary. Reading strings and imports and all of that and that's how I found this one string:


Looks like some IOC ;]

When I found AVE_MARIA string it was pretty obvious that the malware is alredy known:



Maybe you will find it useful.

Special thanks goes to my Patreon: Daniel.
Thanks! You are AWESOME! ;)



See you next time!




Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz